Oily, Combination or Dry – What type of skin do I have?
The question is simple, but the answer is more complex. We don’t have the same skin type throughout our life, or for that matter, throughout the month! It is helpful to analyze your skin type in order to narrow down the type of moisturizer and other skin care products that would best suit your needs and preferences.
Dry skin is generally characterized by small pores, a matte appearance without a lot of shine, and a tendency to be drier towards the sides of the face. Dry skin is susceptible to wind, sun and heat damage. Dry skin can be sensitive to harsh products and requires products that nourish, replenish and restore the skin's moisture levels. IGOG skin care moisturizers appropriate for dry skin include
There are 2 types of skin moisture; water and oil.
- All skin types should use Organic Hydrator No. 16 (water moisture) followed by moisturizer of choice (No. 19 - No. 23)
No. 19 Organic Illuminating Moisturizer which is a lighter daytime weight, sun-damage erasing formula for combination to dry skin.
No. 20 Organic Gravity Defying Moisturizer that is blessed with 7% Glycolic Acid, CoQ10 and Chirally Correct Age-Defying Peptides to help Firm, Lift, Tone and Smooth the skin. No. 20 is richer than No. 19.
No. 22 Creamy Neck, Chest and Facial Moisturizer Dry Skin Formula contains 4% Vitamin C + 5% Glycolic Acid, Age-Defying Peptides & Humectants to add Firmness and Tone. No. 22 is not for those prone to acne because it is the richest of our moisturizers.
No. 23 IGOG’s 100% Natural Exotic Face and Body Oil is a luxurious multi-purpose oil moisturizer. Since No. 23 absorbs fully, it can be used by combination to dry skin types for daytime or nighttime use. Many use No. 23 as an oil boosting step under their moisturizer during their driest times. This exotic oil balances surface hydration by preventing Trans-cutaneous Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) , eliminates ashy discoloration, calms and soothes inflamed, sensitive skin and turns dry, tight skin into supple, glowing skin.
Combination to Oily Skin still needs moisturization!
Oily and Combination skin requires specific care to address blemishes, blackheads and an oily appearance. Careful cleansing and balancing of oil-prone sections of the face, such as the "T" zone (forehead, nose and chin) is required, while maintaining the moisture levels on the less oily areas of the face closer to the face's perimeter.
Oily Skin tends to experience oil on all parts of the facial skin, scalp, chest and back.
- When you are feeling too oily, use the hydration step of your moisturization (IGOG Organic Hydrator No. 16) and finish with an oil-free sunblock (AM) and make-up. In the PM apply No. 16 by itself or follow with Organic Moisturizer No. 21 to help fight acne and signs of aging without adding an oily feel.
Organic Moisturizer No. 21 IGOG's 3-in-1 formula respects the needs of your sensitive skin, while fighting acne AND signs of aging!
Organic Moisturizer No. 19 (see above) In the winter, in dry weather or at night, those with combination skin may prefer a slightly richer moisturizer than No. 21. Add No. 19 after applying your Organic Hydrator No. 16.
Re-Assess your skin’s condition:
- Change of Seasons and Travel – Oil may ↑ in hot/humid weather. Skin may be thirstier in cold, dry weather. When considering environmental factors that affect the oil and hydration levels in the skin, consider both indoor and outdoor “weather”.
- A woman’s monthly cycle
- Use of medication
- Pregnancy (during and 3 months after)
- Breastfeeding (during and 3 months after)
- Health issues that affect hormones (ex: thyroid disorder)
- Age (puberty and around menopause and after menopause)
- Medications – Certain medications, such as Accutane, can affect your skin and body’s water and oil levels. Skin care products and procedures, such as topical acids and chemical peels, can temporarily affect moisture levels as well.
Adapt to your current Skin Condition:
IGOG offers several ways to make your moisturization step more flexible throughout the month/year:
- When you need extra oil moisture - Dispense your chosen moisturizer onto your fingertips. Add a few drops of IGOG Exotic Oil No. 23 to your moisturizer before applying to your face. For your convenience, IGOG includes a free booster sample of IGOG Exotic Oil No. 23 with moisturizer purchases.
- Daytime vs Night Weight Moisturizer – Women who wear make-up may prefer to wear a lighter moisturizer during the day. IGOG describes moisturizers as “Daytime Weight” when they absorb fully and perform well under make-up for most skin types.
Skin that is temporarily exfoliating (flaking) due to use of IGOG’s No. 4 mini-peel pads, Organic Retinol No. 9, or Organic Serum No. 10 which contains several alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), may NOT need more oil moisture, but instead may need to
- speed up the dead skin cells release from the skin by cleansing with a facial brush, sponge or wash cloth, getting a professional enzyme peel or
- use Organic Enzyme Masque No. 25 to eliminate the dead skin cells and smooth your skin’s texture.
Sensitivity is another factor to consider when determining your skin type and condition. Is your skin tolerant to a wide variety of ingredients, including exfoliating acids, without signs of redness or irritation?
Skin can show signs of sensitivity due to lifestyle and environment; however a truly sensitive skin is characterized by redness, swelling of the eyelids or face, itchiness and/or a feeling of dehydration and irritation. Soothing products that gently nourish the skin are best to stabilize the skin's moisture levels and improve appearance. IGOG’s Organic No. 16, No. 21 as well as all natural No. 23 are solid choices for sensitive skin. Please note that these moisturizers have a natural fragrance that occurs through use of active ingredients, not perfume additives. For example, Organic Moisturizer No. 21 gets its natural fragrance from licorice which corrects discoloration and hyperpigmentation caused by the sun, hormones, rosacea and acne inflammation. Goldenseal, propolis, sandalwood, melissa and sage join forces to kill acne-causing bacteria while turmeric causes No. 21 to take on a slightly yellow hue as it repairs and soothes irritated skin.